Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday, November 23rd


We're back from our second visit today and waiting on our burgers and fries to get here. We only have two more days in our official "bonding period" of 14 days. We hope we can get the meeting with the social workers this week but we'll have to wait and see how it goes.
I would say about now we are both still physically healthy, which is so great and a huge blessing, but mentally this is tough. An endurance test to say the least. Cody is so cute but that room we are stuck in makes it so hard to keep him happy the entire time. We all get so literally hot and bothered. We did buy him a cute outfit but the pants are a little too small - he looks like Mandelbaum from a Seinfeld episode. :) He is dressed in layers and today these giant girl shoes. This goes so against everything my mom taught me - How many times she would pull off a baby's socks so they could feel the ground. All the babies I've known love to have their feet out. Someday little Cody, you'll love summer!

The doctor came in our room (as many people do - it is a pass through) and spoke to Cody. She is so nice and friendly - she must have said godzilla like 10 times but Steve couldn't get the video on in time! We'll get it one of these days!
It was a little warmer today so most of the snow melted and our path was very muddy and slippery. It seemed much colder on the walk back so hopefully the ground will freeze again.

Ok - I'm feeling better after that big burger,fries, and chocolate bar.


Yesterday we had only one visit with Cody in the morning so we went to the mall and dinner with our interpreter. It was very nice and fun to do something different. We finally bought some souvenirs and future gifts for Cody and D. Instead of a "gotcha" day we plan to celebrate "brothers" day.

I suggested we go to Georgia for dinner because 2 families recommended it. I decided to go for it and ordered the Georgia kebobs but the waiter said they were out of them so I said ok just the pork kebobs (which was the same but without tomatoes and peppers). Then I said you're only on the other side of the world a time or two in life so I'll try the snow balls - mashed potato balls with mushrooms inside. Well they were out of that too so I got the colored rice -white rice with peas and corn. I ordered an Amstel well guess what - they were out of it, so I got a Holsten. Who says I can't go with the flow! It was good and a very nice evening. Our taxi ride back was even nice.


I forgot to tell about the way our driver drives! I just have to keep my mouth zipped and say prayers in my head! The other day I was so scared I started laughing. Steve loved it - it seriously was like the ride "The Italian Job" only with no track or computer running it. When we got out Steve said "that was awesome" and I made the sign of the cross!

The main road we walk everyday has 3 lanes from what we can tell. Basically one lane each way sometimes 2 one way but you can also go in the middle - it's not a turn lane, but it not 4 wide either. When a driver sees a straight away they floor it and don't stop until they have to. They swerve around potholes and weave behind 2 cars until they decide who is going faster. If they pass a car they usually beep. Needless to say for those who know me well, this is quite difficult for me to handle. I'm glad we can walk to the baby house so our car rides are not as often.

This was a long one! Well we are still hanging on over here - we can't wait to see D again and get ready for Christmas but it's hard to think about leaving Cody.

I think tomorrow I'll bring our tape measure and measure Cody's feet then we can get him some new shoes!

We also bought some chips today with a picture on the bag we thought was maybe salsa, but with one smell of them we're now thinking fish eggs!

Love to all!

10 comments:

  1. Julie and Steve - What an amazing ride and adventure (both in and out of the taxis)! I am so happy for you all. We can't wait to meet little Cody when he finally makes his appearance back in the USA. Prayers that all the meetings and court dates go well.
    Love, Lori, Tim, Morgan and Brady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post today! It brings back so many memories. We had been on a few roads like you mentioned, but only one of our three drivers was super-aggressive about it, so we rarely felt too nervous.

    And it sounds like you guys are being way more adventurous with the food than we were. Funny you mentioned the "snow balls", I had a dish at a Ukrainian restaurant that consisted of a ball of mashed potatoes filled with sauteed beef and onions. It had a breading around it and was deep-fried. It was pretty good. Aside from the besbarmak, that was about as adventurous as we got.

    So glad to hear things are going well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aunt Julie it's Kayla. Cody is so cute I can't wait to play and hopefully babysit him!! Good Luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great post!
    I love the idea of Brothers Day. I will have to borrow that idea for our purposes. So, just to clarify, will this be celebrated on the official day that the court says he's your son, or on another date, like homecoming? I get very confused with Meetcha Day, Gotcha Day ... and then I was confused looking through some adoption announcements that say Born on ... and then Forever in our Arms on .... Is that the day the child and parents met or the court day? Any clarification, as I need these thoughts to pass my time ;-) would be greatly appreciated!
    Enjoy your cuddly Cody!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are living the high life in Kaz! I remember living in Russia and every restaurant would have this inch-thick menu but they were out of everything except 3-4 items. So we got used to just asking what do you have rather than asking for the menu! BTW, Kazakhstani beer (Shymkent was the best) or Russian beer (Balteeka) are really really good. And the caviar chips were our favorites too. THey also have bacon and egg flavored chips as well as roast chicken flavor! No getting bored with the food anyway.

    I can't believe you are so close to the end of your bonding period. Cody seems to be really happy and comfortable with you. All the babies are overdressed - they used to dress our boy in three layers and a hat to go outside on a 95+ degree day. No joke! Cody looks so cute in his little flood pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow/ it was fun to see and hear some "daily" news! I'm sure you will have quite a bit more to share-but it is good to hear the happiness in your writing. Keep us posted-you have quite the following:)
    Fred Becky Maria David Jacquline and Mitchell
    Keep the Faith!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Should have mentioned that you try the Khachapuri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khachapuri I really enjoyed the traditional cheese version, and then ordered the stewed veggie side dish. Great combo.
    Troy liked the version that had meat on it.

    -- we were surprised by the "colored rice" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear such happiness in your writing. Cody is awesome!!! I love to hear about your taxi rides, reminds me of San Fran. Good luck with all the upcoming meetings, etc. We are always praying for you. Love, Tracy, Andy, Zach, Grace & Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!I love reading the posts and seeing the pics from Kaz. It sounds like this has been quite an adventure. Cody is so cute and we can't wait for you to bring him home. Good luck with the upcoming court dates. Your in our prayers.
    Kristi, Ryan, Carson & ELLIE

    ReplyDelete
  10. sup jul. still super psyched for the little guy. can't wait til big D gets to see him! i can picture him just being like sup brah. then giving him a high five. like, psh. i knew you were coming eventually.
    everyone misses you all! last night i was working and all of the smiths, well actually a few were missing, came in for jillian's birthday. her little mini-family, kyle evan lisa and 'mimi.'
    we all talked about how excited we are for Cody to finally come home, and everyone else too! ;)
    see you soon and happy thanksgiving!
    peace and love,
    chels

    ReplyDelete