We left on Sunday January, 24th and arrived without much trouble in Almaty on Tuesday about 4am. Our flight was a little late but we were greeted by a wondeful woman from the Spoon Foundation. We had a large box of supplies that we volunteered to bring for her. Luckily we did because I can simply call her our angel #1. She made several calls until we located our driver. She also helped another american couple with the same problem. I guess when flights are delayed alarm clocks aren't reset. Oh well, it was the middle of the night and our driver/translator was very apologetic and sweet. We arrived at our apartment about 5:20am. We were picked up at 7:50am to go to the train station to meet Cody! I did not go to sleep at all because I didn't want to be late. I can't even explain how excited I was to see him. When we got there we walked and walked along a train which I thought was his but then we jumped down in the tracks and crossed over to see a second train hidden behind the first. We then ran all the way to the other end following our translator who stopped at several cars to ask for directions. Finally, I saw a woman holding a baby! I said "there he is! that's him!" The translator took the bags so I could get Cody. She handed him down the steps to me - he was all bundled in the snow suit we got him before we left. He was SO ADORABLE!! He just was looking around - taking it all in. Once I got a hold of him I couldn't stop kissing him. My tears were flowing and my smile huge! As I spoke to him he smiled and giggled. I think he was remembering me. It was the most awesome experience!
I carried him all the way back to the car and we went to the grocery. His head was so sweaty when I took off his hat. He has a lot more hair - I'm pretty sure they buzzed it before. He was smiling and laughing, just looking at everything. We got some needed supplies and headed back to the apartment. I immediately took off his clothes and let him crawl around in just a onesie! Cody loved it and seemed so amazed to see his legs. He kept rubbing them and kicking them.
Around 11am we went to the SOS Clinic for Cody's checkup. He was fine. The Dr. basically just confirmed (by reading his paperwork) the health information that we already know about him. We paid and went back for naps. Cody went to sleep pretty easily. I patted his back and "tried" to sleep next to him on the couch. The LR was the only room with blackout curtains. Shortly after he fell asleep they began extremely loud drilling and hammering on the apt next to ours. It was so rediculously loud but Cody somehow slept through it. Kristi and I did not.
We had pizza and lazagna delivered for dinner. Cody eats everything! He's a hungry boy. We gave him oatmeal, yogurt, jars of baby food etc. He eats goldfish crackers like they are shrimp. Takes one bite of the body and then throws the tail. He does tend to throw things when he is finished with them or doesn't want it. He loves juice and not much else drink wise.
He went to bed well and really seemed to be bonding with me. The first day was great.When I woke up on Wednesday I felt funny. I stood up and thought whoa I can't see right and then I stumbled. I first was hoping I just got up too fast but quickly realized that was not the case.
And that began our second day.
I'm going to stop now because this is a lot of work for me right now. I'll hopefully write more tomorrow as I want to get my story down before I forget and this is a general record for me. I will not be able to put all the details down as they are just so many.
One week ago at this time I was on a flight from Astana to Frankfurt wondering if I would live to see my family. Two weeks ago at this time I was at the train station getting Cody. Right now I'm thankful to be home with Steve and D, safe and recovering feeling blessed and loved and missing my sweet Cody.

By the way - making a long story short is an impossible task for me - passed on by my Mother. We are much better at making a short story long. :)











So glad you are home safely (and wondering what else happened). Looking forward to reading the rest of the story, and learning when Cody finally makes it home!
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOODNESS JULIE - THAT'S CRAZY!! AND NOW YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE US WAIT FOR "THE REST OF THE STORY" NOT FAIR!!!
ReplyDelete