Sunday, March 7, 2010

Updates from home!

We've been having fun getting used to our new lives together!  We've had many visitors and a few doctor appointments.  Cody had his big appointment with the International Adoption Center at our hospital.  He was great although it ended with a big blood draw :(  They asked me many questions about his development - what he could do or say.  I was sad because I kept saying no, not yet - I've only had him here for a week!  Well I'm so happy to report since our visit Cody can wave, say bye, mama, D, and ball.  He can walk amazingly well.  He went from a couple of steps to walking all over in just a few days. We went to physical therapy and they gave me some exercises to do to help strengthen his muscles.  They expect him to continue making great strides as he gets stronger.

The changes each day have been truly awesome to watch.  He is so curious and seems so excited when he "finds" a new room! He gives hugs and pat-pats and is learning kisses.  He is very loving and so cuddly.  When he is tired he gets his blanket and snuggles up on us.
He eats pretty much but is surprisingly picky.  He refuses any milk or formula unless its a bottle in the middle of the night.  He loves yogurt, bananas, cheese, bologna, bread, crackers, cheerios, and some soups - ravioli is also a favorite.  He loves holding the spoon and smearing food all over his tray. He rubs it on his hands and laughs. I'm sure each texture is so new.  He hates baths, however laughes when he gets his hands and face washed in the sink.  We're not doing very well with naps.  He does go to sleep easily at night because he is so tired but wakes up at some point each night.  I then sleep in his room with him. He often checks to make sure I'm still there.  It is cute but exhausting! 
He gets so excited when Steve gets home each day. It is very cute to see him do whatever he can to get right to him asap!
D is so proud to be a big brother.  He wants to keep wear his big brother shirt every day! He has been very helpful and loves to teach Cody things - mostly good things! :)

Yesterday at the grocery a women walked over to me and said "you have the cutest two boys!" Well, that really hit me and I think its starting to sink in.  I have two boys.... and yes they are adorable! I can't believe it and instantly my eyes filled with tears.  A dream come true - a miracle.

I had a follow up appointment with a local neuro muscular doctor since my hospital stay was out of town.  He was amazed and said he never saw a recover like this.  He did not expect me to look so good.  My reflexes are not all the way back yet but that's ok.  He is going to look over all the information and test results from the hospital and let me know if he wants to look into anything else.  That was great news.

I've got so much more to tell about and so many pictures already! We'll see how many I can stay awake to load on here!

We're all enjoying each other very much and can't believe Cody is finally home!






D's artwork from school.





















11 comments:

  1. AWWW.. so cute! Love the pictures :-) So glad to read that things are coming along and life is full of smiles and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear how well both you and Cody are doing. But I have to say, I think the last photo of Cody looking up at D is beautiful. How absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    wonderful update! Sounds as if things are going great. I am so happy to hear that, and that everyone is adjusting so well. Keep up the good work! A little tip - once we put a white noise/sound machine in the boys room they started sleeping much better. Good luck. Julie C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear. They are precious together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie - such a wonderful post and great pictures! They are adorable brothers and clearly happy to be together. And don't worry about the nos you had to say at his first IA appointment. It's the second one that you get to say all the YES's to that will be really terrific.

    Glad to hear everythings going so well.
    Lou Ann & Lexie too

    ReplyDelete
  6. The woman at the store sure was right!! Wonderful shots of brotherly love! Glad you are feeling well too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boys look so content and happy together. You are so lucky and blessed! :)

    Ali & Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update! The boys look very happy :) I'm also glad to hear that you're feeling well. Good thing because by the looks of it you're busy, busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great update, and we are so happy for your family of four! The boys are truly adorable! You did it, Julie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is truly AMAZING how well Cody is doing and the new things he is learning every day he is with his family! And he sounds like he is so bonded to you, Steve, and his big brother!! And I am thrilled about your health! I'm sending lots of continued prayers and thank you's everyday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What sweet photos! Glad to hear that everyone is doing well.

    ReplyDelete