We are still waiting to hear when Cody's paperwork is ready. We are so excited to bring him home asap! His room is ready and waiting - I even added a few Kazak decorations!
Hopefully I'll be updating soon with travel dates!
Hey Adoptive Parents - any suggestions on what I should pack to amuse a 20 month old boy on the long flights? Also, what should I feed him?
Thanks for checking in on Lexie and I. And again congratulations on your handsome new son, Cody. I love his smile!
As for the flight, I would suggest one of those little magic drawers - the mini one. Lexie still loves to use hers but I keep it for the car or plane rides. I would also bring the laptop so you can play some videos. It might be a hassle to bring but 2 or more hours of entertainment will be wroth dragging it around. And go to the dollar store and get one of those sticker books that have like 1000 little ones along with one of those small coloring books. I actually have a small backpack that I use for car & plane trips and those are all great time killers. You may be taking the stickers off for him but before you know it his little fingers will catch on and you'll be covered in them!)
As for food, gold fish are a must and I would bring one of those 4 packs of fruit so that you can give him something sweet that isn't chocolate. You'll be able to find out what he eats at the baby house & try to get something he's familiar with as well. Lexie was still on formula & baby cereal so I got some there to transition through the trip and my first weeks back. And don't forget at least two sippy cups - one for water and one for milk. The airlines are pretty good about filling them up for you. It will all be so new to him but hopefully he will sleep at least a few hours for you so you can catch a nap as well. If not, remember it is only 30+ hours out of your life and you'll manage to get through it. Then you'll all be home enjoying a life as a family of 4. How great is that?
I brought home 9.5 month old girls two different times so I don't know what will amuze him but I would suggest to buy some plastic diaper coverups (Gerber makes them and you can get them at Babies R US and at Biggs (I think you are in a similar area as I am (Cincinnati area)). As for food again mine were younger but only feed him what his stomach knows - liquids you have tried and the food you were already giving him would be my suggestion since the flights are not the time for finding his stomach does not like something. Congratulations on your soon to be completed journey. Suzanne Mom to two girls from Uralsk
Food!!! In original packages, not messy, so you won't have customs problems and can access/ feed them to him easily. Also a favorite (and it may only be for a few days - believe me, it can become more favorite as the ride goes on) stuffed animal and sippy cup with a good stopper. Hopefully the movies will amuse him - my bio son who was 2 1/4 years old when we traveled to and from Kaz loved the Disney movie and watched it over and over and over (collection of cartoons) - Lufthansa - loved the whole thing and was an ANGEL! Our daughter (22 months at time of travel home) was a different story - an angel, definitely because of all she endured LIKE A CHAMP, but she watched the movie, hmm, maybe 20 minutes total of all our flights. The rest of the time she slept, cried, snuggled, ate and we walked and walked the Frankfurt airport (thank God for our umbrella stroller!) for our 7 hour layover there. She wouldn't really play with toys but DID want to be in my lap about 1/2 the time if not more (we bought her a seat - am SO glad we did that as my arms and legs would fall asleep sometimes from the weight of her falling asleep on me and ALL our flights were full). We survived (oh, I forgot to say she had an ear infection - on antibiotics for almost 48 hours by the time of the flight, but still not in prime form) and the important thing, even if the flights are torture, which they probably won't be the WHOLE way, is to remember this is GREAT bonding time and just go with it...roam the aisles, don't worry about schedules, if he wants to sleep, let him. Sorry I don't have better advice but hope this helps some. Congrats!!! Shan in CO
Aug 2008 - Sent applications to Cherub International and Journey Home Adoption
Jan 2008 - started seriously researching international adoption
THE STARFISH POEM
Once upon a time there was a wise man
who used to go to the ocean
to do his writing.
He had a habit of walking
on the beach
before he began his work.
One day he was walking along
the shore.
As he looked down the beach,
he saw a human
figure moving like a dancer.
He smiled to himself to think
of someone who would
dance to the day.
So he began to walk faster
to catch up.
As he got closer, he saw
that it was a young man
and the young man wasn't dancing,
but instead he was reaching
down to the shore,
picking up something
and very gently throwing it
into the ocean.
As he got closer he called out,
"Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused,
looked up and replied,
"Throwing starfish in the ocean."
"I guess I should have asked,
why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up and the tide is going out.
And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that
there are miles and miles of beach
and starfish all along it.
You can't possibly make a difference!"
The young man listened politely.
Then bent down, picked up another starfish
and threw it into the sea,
past the breaking waves and said-
"It made a difference for that one."
Hi Julie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for checking in on Lexie and I. And again congratulations on your handsome new son, Cody. I love his smile!
As for the flight, I would suggest one of those little magic drawers - the mini one. Lexie still loves to use hers but I keep it for the car or plane rides. I would also bring the laptop so you can play some videos. It might be a hassle to bring but 2 or more hours of entertainment will be wroth dragging it around. And go to the dollar store and get one of those sticker books that have like 1000 little ones along with one of those small coloring books. I actually have a small backpack that I use for car & plane trips and those are all great time killers. You may be taking the stickers off for him but before you know it his little fingers will catch on and you'll be covered in them!)
As for food, gold fish are a must and I would bring one of those 4 packs of fruit so that you can give him something sweet that isn't chocolate. You'll be able to find out what he eats at the baby house & try to get something he's familiar with as well. Lexie was still on formula & baby cereal so I got some there to transition through the trip and my first weeks back. And don't forget at least two sippy cups - one for water and one for milk. The airlines are pretty good about filling them up for you. It will all be so new to him but hopefully he will sleep at least a few hours for you so you can catch a nap as well. If not, remember it is only 30+ hours out of your life and you'll manage to get through it. Then you'll all be home enjoying a life as a family of 4. How great is that?
Safe travels,
Lou Ann & Lexie too
I brought home 9.5 month old girls two different times so I don't know what will amuze him but I would suggest to buy some plastic diaper coverups (Gerber makes them and you can get them at Babies R US and at Biggs (I think you are in a similar area as I am (Cincinnati area)). As for food again mine were younger but only feed him what his stomach knows - liquids you have tried and the food you were already giving him would be my suggestion since the flights are not the time for finding his stomach does not like something. Congratulations on your soon to be completed journey.
ReplyDeleteSuzanne
Mom to two girls from Uralsk
Food!!! In original packages, not messy, so you won't have customs problems and can access/ feed them to him easily. Also a favorite (and it may only be for a few days - believe me, it can become more favorite as the ride goes on) stuffed animal and sippy cup with a good stopper. Hopefully the movies will amuse him - my bio son who was 2 1/4 years old when we traveled to and from Kaz loved the Disney movie and watched it over and over and over (collection of cartoons) - Lufthansa - loved the whole thing and was an ANGEL! Our daughter (22 months at time of travel home) was a different story - an angel, definitely because of all she endured LIKE A CHAMP, but she watched the movie, hmm, maybe 20 minutes total of all our flights. The rest of the time she slept, cried, snuggled, ate and we walked and walked the Frankfurt airport (thank God for our umbrella stroller!) for our 7 hour layover there. She wouldn't really play with toys but DID want to be in my lap about 1/2 the time if not more (we bought her a seat - am SO glad we did that as my arms and legs would fall asleep sometimes from the weight of her falling asleep on me and ALL our flights were full). We survived (oh, I forgot to say she had an ear infection - on antibiotics for almost 48 hours by the time of the flight, but still not in prime form) and the important thing, even if the flights are torture, which they probably won't be the WHOLE way, is to remember this is GREAT bonding time and just go with it...roam the aisles, don't worry about schedules, if he wants to sleep, let him. Sorry I don't have better advice but hope this helps some. Congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteShan in CO
Finger foods! And airplane food :)
ReplyDeleteI'd bring magnetic toys or Colorforms - they're good for lots of play over and over again and it doesn't matter if you lose a few
My son is 20 months old and from Botakoz baby house. He loves to watch Sesame Street DVDs.
ReplyDeleteBring a lot of gold fish for him to eat!!
Jennifer
Thanks Julie for all of your positive and encouraging words and nice 'comment' on my blog! It's so nice to know we have friends like you. :)
ReplyDeleteTravel dates soon?
Ali & Chris